December 15, 2010

Persephone Secret Santa

Alas Poor Lady (photo by Helen)
Well, today's the day for the big reveal of the Persephone Secret Santa which RCA and I participated in.  But, alas, I have nothing to reveal. I sent Alas, Poor Lady by Rachel Ferguson to Helen of She Reads Novels, and she received it in time, which is a minor miracle to my mind.  Helen is a lover of all things Victorian, and Alas, Poor Lady looks at the oft neglected problem of the single woman--the spinster--of those days.  It spans two generations, ending in 1936, where Grace, our heroine, has found some peace as a governess. The choice was a difficult one, but I had read many reviews of Alas, Poor Lady, and after some research on her blog, found it was one of the titles she had her eye on, so I knew I had my choice. (Helen, I know you'll love the book, but goodness I wish I had been able to get myself together enough to send you a little something extra!)

But I have nothing to reveal on my side, because my book hasn't arrived yet.  I understand that there has been terrible weather in the UK, so I assume my book is lost somewhere in it, and that's ok, because I surely don't have time to read it right now.  (I just started The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler, after much prompting by my sister, and can't put it down!) Will update you all when my book does arrive!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:13 PM

    Oh, I'm so sorry it hasn't arrived yet! I really thought it would have reached you by now. I send things to the US pretty regularly, so I know how long it usually takes. I can only assume the delay is weather-related. I'll keep checking your blog to see when you can REVEAL!

    Love,
    Your Anonymous (for now!) Secret Santa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait!!! Thanks for commenting, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Margaret! You're correct in saying that I love anything Victorian, so this should be the perfect Persephone for me. And don't worry about not sending anything extra - I'm delighted with the book on its own.

    I'm sorry to hear you haven't received yours yet. Hopefully you'll get it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, I'm sorry you haven't received your Persephone yet but there are a few of you waiting that bit longer (I am sure it will be worth the wait!) I look forward to your reveal post once it has arrived.

    How sweet of your Santa to post anonymously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is running late as well, but I know it's coming. It will just stretch out the holiday a bit. And what a lovely choice for your Santee! Alas, Poor Lady is definitely on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:18 PM

    I'm so sorry you still haven't received your present. I posted things to my dad and stepmother (in Louisiana) at the same time I sent yours, and they got theirs on Saturday. Fingers crossed it comes really soon!

    Love,
    Your Increasingly Worrying Secret Santa

    ReplyDelete