November 05, 2010

Quotable: Benedictus.

I know we're way into the afternoon now, but this morning I got to work early, complaining to myself about the fact that I had commuted a hour and it was still dark outside.  I am not sure why, but I felt this tremendous calling to go to the chapel, where I knew the Brothers were saying Lauds and Matins.  I popped over, and stood at threshold of the chapel, for they were already beginning the Benedictus chant (which marks the end of morning prayer).  


These lines struck me so powerfully this morning, so I wanted to share them with all of you, too (familiar though they undoubtedly are).




"In the tender compassion of our God the dawn from on high shall break upon us to shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death and to guide our feet into the way of peace."


(Luke 1:78,79)

No comments:

Post a Comment