November 02, 2010

Already Thinking of Christmas





Yesterday, I popped into Starbucks...and they already had red cups.  Then At Whole Foods I found they had their holiday bags in full force.  Thus begins my yearly month of grumpiness because it's not Christmas yet people!


But SOME Christmas things need preparation.  Fruit bread for example.  Or my three jars of brandied fruits happily stewing away in the cabinet.  And trans-oceanic Christmas Secret Santa book clubs: they need preparation too!


At Spoon's instigating, I am participating in this year's Persephone Books Secret Santa, as hosted by Paperback Reader. (The deadline to sign up is November 5th).  Basically, you get great Persephone books and you give great Persephone books.  My top picks: Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Diamanche and other Stories by Irene Nemirovsky, Spalings by Noel Stretfield.  


(Persephone ALSO does book subscriptions, which seems like a fantastic Christmas gift to me!)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the link! Don't forget to email me by the 5th if you are participating.

    I too would love a book subscription from Persephone - what a wonderfully-sounding gift.

    ReplyDelete