November 17, 2010

Absorbed

T. F. Simon

Last night after staying rather later than planned (or desired) at work, I decided to go to mass, and then treat myself to dinner out.  It was my name day, after all--plus it meant I could finish my book.  When I finally did get home, I sat on the couch to check my email, and then planned on turning in for the night--only to discover that it was 7:30 pm!  I thought it was hours later than that--and not just because of a long day at the office.  I had travelled across time and space in my book, and was so completely absorbed that I had no idea how much time was actually passing by.

It's been ages since I have been totally inside a book.  When I finished it last night, I was amazed that I had been so enthralled--even though I didn't end up really loving the book. It was Willa Cather's The Song of the Lark. It tells the story of a young woman becoming an artist. Plot-wise it is rather inferior to her other works.  But it made manifest the late 19th century railroad town.  I felt like I was there in those Colorado dunes, or Arizona canyons.  It was so vivid and captivating.

What's the last time you read a book and were completely absorbed?

(PS.  Rebecca posted her 5...er...6 photos today and I updated my post.  Check them out: they are adorable!)

No comments:

Post a Comment