September 13, 2010

It Ain't Over Till It's Over


The slightest chill in the air, and everyone in the Washington D.C. blogging community wants to proclaim that summer is over and fall is here.  Not so fast, my friends.

Granted, this has been a beastly hot humid sticky summer, and part of me is amazing I have made it to September alive.  Last friday Myrna and I had a cocktail party (look for the recipes at five!), and I was contemplating how the last time I held a cocktail party it was April, and so hot and sticky that I didn't put out the cheese because I was afraid it would spoil.  (And, really, what is the point of a party without cheese?)  Fast forward FIVE WHOLE HOT STICKY DISGUSTING MONTHS: we have a cocktail party with the windows open and a breeze blowing.  The cheese didn't have a chance to survive spoil; it was eaten in a flash.

Still, I'm not ready to give up on summer, yet.  I haven't been to any of the rooftops I've wanted to explore, nor have I played Bocce ball all evening long, or air dried my sheets in the sunshine. (Ok. That's not going to happen.  The best I can do is hang my blouses in the sunny bathroom--as shown above.) I've sat in the gardens behind the Smithsonian only once. 

I am therefore declaring this the real summer-time.  I shall still wear sandals.  I shall eat as much fruit and tomatoes as I can stand.  I shall sit outside every night.  I shall walk to the metro.  I shall pretend that the last five months of weather misery didn't happen, and let this sunny, joyful weather create a second summertime in my heart.  

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:31 PM

    I just happened to see this post on facebook as I was inwardly lamenting that it is possible to go all summer in DC without *seeing the sun* (unobscured by a blanket of humidity.)

    So, I figured I'd come over here and say "Amen."

    Elizabeth C.

    ReplyDelete