September 10, 2010

Clippings: September 3rd to 10th

Papal Tartan: blue and white for Scotland, green for the lichen shores,
red and white for Cardinal Newman, and yellow for the Vatican. Lovely.

+ Muriel Spark is still popping up everywhere these days.  I just re-read The Girls of Slender Means, which may be my favorite of her novels, though I love Loitering with Intent too.  Maud Newton had a post last week filled with goodies. Plus, she gets a mention in this fun piece about Milton's devil:
But I do have quite a soft spot for charming devils. Think subtle. Think Peter Cook in Bedazzled. And after that think good, old-fashioned literature. The devilish charm of Satan is just too splendid to be left to celluloid caricature.

If you're not convinced, let me tempt you with a secondhand book I picked up recently – Muriel Spark's The Ballad of Peckham Rye.  [Link addition, mine.]
Clearly, I need to add this novel to the list.  Also, my friend Santiago Ramos recently passed along this video of her in 1971 from the BBC. (And tons of other awesome author interviews!)

+ Can the Humanities Survive the 21st Century?  I sure hope so... (Chronicle of Higher Education)

+ I haven't been to a state fair in years, but I do always get nostalgic this time of year, hoping for deep fried zucchini and loud music and that oversized teacup ride (what was it called?).  (WSJ)

+ The British Papal visit is approaching, and I am terribly excited about it all (and jealous of everyone there).  And I just love this new plaid created in honor of the Papal visit (above).  There is a nice piece on the historic significance of this beatification in the Wall Street Journal today, too. (BBC + WSJ)
Newman died in 1890 popularly considered a saint. Over a century later, the Church is vindicating this judgment of the people of the U.K. and the whole English-speaking world. Pope Benedict's decision to preside over Newman's beatification reflects his love and respect for a fellow theologian whose work he has studied from his seminary days, and whose influence on the Second Vatican Council made him perhaps the most influential theologian on the council, even though it was meeting more than 70 years after his death.
+ David Clayton writes about Business Culture and Creativity on Thomas More College's The Way of Beauty blog.

+ I know they aren't supposed to, but these formal portraits of members of the curia in Rome in the 1800s absolutely crack me up.

+ Also, many thanks to Happy Catholic, who linked to last week's clippings post, re: Russel Kirk's ghostly fiction.

Lastly: The Party!


1 comment:

  1. Re: Curia portraits

    Capes = awesome.

    Short cassocks and lots of lace = not so much.

    ReplyDelete