September 09, 2010

Basic Concepts Week on LLB



Have you been tuning in to the Basic Concepts week that I am holding on Little Lamb Books?  I wish you'd pop over there and check out my favorite selections of pre-school concepts books.  Tuesday I reviewed alphabet books; Wednesday was counting; today is shapes; tomorrow colors; and Saturday, opposites.  I'm ciohosting with the lovely Stephanie, of Our Little Library.  It's been a lot of fun, and I'd love to know your favorite memories of these books.

Though I don't like the phrase "basic concepts"--it's the trade lingo--these books are perhaps my favorite genre of picture books.  It is a tremendous challenge to create a dynamic, engaging picture book that is supposed to teach our numbers or letters.  One of the things I have always been interested in, when it comes to children's literature, is how the igniting the imagination instills knowledge and understanding in young minds.  It's a complete mystery to me.

And when I think of the books that I loved, I can't put my finger on why I loved them.  But I remember, distinctly, the time I first realized how colors worked--the difference between primary colors and secondary colors and how when we mix colors together they make new colors--because of the Golden Book Color Kittens, which I reviewed a few months ago.  I remember the moment of understanding so distinctly.  And in that moment imagination, reason, and will were all combined perfectly (I'm not going to lie--this might have been the only time in my life that's happened). I remember entering the world of that picture book, and soaking it all in, and living by its rules till I understood them, and then applied them to the world I saw. And it was marvelous.  (An image from that book is above; the kittens accidentally spill their paints, and, much to their surprise, a new color is formed!)

If you have a similar experience with a picture book, I'd love to know about it.  Meanwhile, stop by Little Lamb Books to find some of my other favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment