September 09, 2010

Away We Go



I watched Away We Go again this weekend. It gets funnier and truer and more beloved every time. Maggie Gyllenhaal is the funniest of the bit parts (see mashup below), but the real glorious cameos are Chris Messina and Melanie Lynskey as their college buddies the Garnett's, who live in Montreal (pictured with Burt and Verona above). They were a revelation, and their story is the one I keep coming back to every time I think of the film.




N.B. Because I've gotten flack for recommending it before, I will add this disclaimer: there is language, and it has a lot of vulgarity. I would not watch this with a teenager, and I don't know that people my parent's age would like it much (but they might...Mom, did you see it?). Also, it is important to note that the vulgarity is seen as such by the heroes and filmmakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment