August 26, 2010

Sidewalk Cafes in Washington

Bassik's Sidewalk Cafe, 1967
For being so beastly hot most of the summer, and surprised by sudden epic thunderstorms, Washington is a surprisingly al fresco city.  Nearly every restaurant tries to squeeze out a couple outdoors seats, or a back patio, or a rooftop, so we can enjoy what little fresh air there is in the heat of summer.

Turns out, it is a long standing tradition in Washington, according to this fascinating history of the first sidewalk cafe in Washington posted yesterday on Greater Greater Washington.

Which makes me think: I have not done enough outside dining this summer.  Here are a few of my favorite spots, most of which I have yet to visit this summer:

  • Sunday Brunch at the Tabard Inn is a hot ticket, and well worth every penny.  I learn they now have jazz sunday evenings too, which warrants a visit, though I suppose we can't guarantee hearing the jazz from their patio.
  • Poste, in courtyard the Hotel Monaco, is delicious, and their alcoholic punches bear the proper name. The sounds of the city are swallowed by this big, pretty, concrete hotel, so you almost forget where you are.  Big fan of Poste for after-theatre lounging, too, now that the STC's season is about to begin.
  • Bodega in Georgetown has delicious tapas and paella (and I have it on good authority that it is authentic!)--they also have a charming patio nestled between two Georgetown storefronts.
  • Pizzeria Paradiso was my first gourmet pizza experience, and I still love it.  I love even more their new, larger space, just off Dupont Circle.  With patio dining and a full bar, it is not to be missed.  What it lacks in the charm of the old location, it makes up for in complimentary olives, a good beer list, and lots and lots of tasty pizza combinations.
  • If a leisurely cup of coffee is what you crave, I can think of no better place than Georgetown's Patisserie Poupon.  The croissants and macarons are to die for, and the coffee high quality.  And you can sit out back for hours.

Poste, in Chinatown
The Tabard Inn

1 comment:

  1. Miss Perry- I am intrigued by this Patisserie Poupon and its macarons. I think a visit is in order.

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete