August 30, 2010

Joyous Feasting: A Note on Food Blogs

Tartelette

Every now and then, as I am grazing through the scores of food blogs I read, I come across something that takes my breath away.  While most of these blogs simply share a recipe (and perhaps, by way of an introduction, a quick anecdote)--and believe me, I bookmark a lot of them--I read all these blogs for those rare moments when I find a recipe for the good life.

This week, french blogger Tartelette gave me just such a recipe.  She told the story of her grandfather's 100th birthday party:
When you think that there are exactly 100 years between my grandfather and his last great granddaughter, well you are slightly inclined to smell the roses and open up the bubbly! And celebrate we did! My cheeks hurt so much from laughing and smiling as I looked over my shoulders to see my cousins now all grown up and parents of their own.


As I said, my heart is full. Even fuller now that I got to spend quality time with my brother’s children for a few days. Because of their age difference we were able to take full advantage of both their rhythms and while Camille was napping, Lea and I spent time baking and chatting about life and other “very serious things” (her words!). 
Food is never just about sustainence. Certainly, that is its first most basic purpose. On another level, as Wendell Berry says in his essay, The Pleasures of Eating, "eating ... is inescapably an agricultural act, and that how we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used."  But, in the fullest sense of the word, eating is about feasting, about community, abnout family, and life in its fullest most dynamic and multi-faceted sense.

And when a blog comes along that opens a window into the soul of a family's culinary life, my heart is full too.  I am sitting at the table with them, sharing their gluten free almond and plum tarte, and their stories and their laughter, and their 3 generations of memories.  I am full of life, and hungry for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment