August 03, 2010

Jazz Love: Wedding Edition

Ah!  I suppose the first dance is probably one of the most delightful, stressful and personal elements of a wedding.  Though it is a very personal choice, I can offer one piece of advice: if you pick jazz, you can hardly go wrong. (Personally, I like the faster ones, though slow tunes seem to be de rigour.) Here are some of my favorites, that I think would be lovely first dances:


Honeysuckle Rose, by Django Reinheirt


It Had to be You, by Harry Connick, Jr.


Time after Time, by Frank Sinatra
(This is a little too slow for my tastes, but the Chet Baker and the Harry Connick Jr. ones are much less dancable)

And saving the best for last:

All of Me, by Count Basie and his orchestra
(The Sinatra at the Sands concert has a recording of this, fyi.)


What was your first dance? And what was your Father-Daughter dance? (My own father would insist on a waltz, which is awesome.)

4 comments:

  1. Geneva1:14 PM

    Our first dance was "At Last," Etta James. A halting waltz. It worked well and was fun.

    My dad and I danced to a musical version of the sleeping beauty waltz ("I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream")!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our first dance was "Act Nice and Gentle," by the Black Keys... and my Dad refused to do a father daughter dance... and I don't blame him a bit. I think it's a little weird, to be honest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen2:58 PM

    I hope you don't mind comments on old posts! Our first dance was Gershwin's "For You, For Me, For Evermore" as sung by Morgana King. It's not my favorite recording. We tried to make our own recording, but though Gavin's piano playing was awesome my vocals were not up to par. I like the Dick Haymes recording, but the tempo was a bit erratic for dancing.
    For the father-daughter dance we had the cheesy-but-sweet "Daughter of Mine," played by the live band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you posting on old posts! "For you, For me, For Evermore" is a wonderful pick! next week I am going to do a post on the gershwins! :)

    ReplyDelete