September 02, 2010

Harper Lee on "The End" of Books

Harper Lee

This is a little gem via former blog-of-the-week Letters of Note:
22 Sep. '08
Dear Jonathan:

Thank you so much for the LEAVES OF GRASS. It will probably be the last edition, because the news in NY Magazine of 22 September is not good. Looks like books are coming to an end. My agent can’t get M’bird placed anywhere as a reprint. My own publisher, one of the biggest houses, is going out of business! Guess this is the last of the wine.

Love,
Nelle
She is referencing an article from New York Magazine in 2008 which forecast "The End" of books.  Many artists will be quick to see the end of their craft, and this is certainly true when it comes to books.  And you've heard me speak time and again about libraries closing and the prevalence of e-readers, and so on and so forth, and it does actually make me deeply deeply sad.  Still, I am always wary of that phrase "The End".  And, as I was walking up the steps to work today, I was followed closely by three friars, each dragging a library cart full of boxes of books taken from a van not-yet half-empty, also filled with boxes of books.

So, God is in his heaven and all is right with the world.  THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment