August 06, 2010

Clippings: August 1 to August 6




Wedding 42
One more wedding photo just for the fun of it.



+ Mmmm.  Today I had the best lunch.  I should have taken a photo.  Tomatoes and bread and salt and pepper.  Yep. The perfect lunch. (SF Chronicle)

+  Do you miss Gourmet as much as I do?  Well, The Huffington Post has a round up of 35 must read food magazines.  First on their list is my favorite, Savuer, which blends all the best of writing, travel, recipes, and feasting.  I also am addicted to the Edible magazines--also on their list--which display the best dining, foodstuffs, and food businesses of a local community.  Check out their regions here.

+ And speaking of food: The James Beard awards have promoted great chefs, and great cookbooks, but what about great foodstuffs?  Well, nominations are open for The Good Food Awards, which will salute food producers:
...honoring the nation's makers of high-quality chocolate, coffee, beer, cheese, charcuterie, pickles and preserves. The judging is for those producing food that is "delicious, tied to communities and cultural traditions, and is responsibly produced," says organizer Sarah Weiner, executive director of San Francisco's Seedling Project.
Maybe I should put this at the top of my life-goal lists: to win a Good Food award. (SF Chronicle)

+ Switch gears: The Lure, and the Risks, of Starting a University from The Chronicle of Higher Education is a fascinating read.  I have a lot of experience with this, and would like to mull over my thoughts and address them more specifically here.  Not your usual 10KP fare, but I have to be clever sometimes.

+ Did you see this article about the artists life with children in the home?  It's wonderful.  Writer and father of seven, Frank Cottrell Boyce writes in the Gaurdian:
in the dark watches of the night I would sometimes look at the Maclaren Dreamer buggy in the corner of the tiny kitchen and think, is that it then? Will I have to go and get a proper job and never write again?


Happily, I had married a woman of terrifying courage who, the day I was offered a proper job, said: "Don't do it, Frank. Go to the library, write something for us." I didn't produce a work of precocious genius, but I did get myself started as a TV hack. Ever since then, fatherhood and writing have been inextricably intertwined for me.

I'm not the only one. The most commercially successful British writer (JK Rowling) and the most ferociously inventive (JG Ballard) were both single parents. Edith Nesbit had three children of her own, and then adopted the two that her feckless husband had with his mistress. She founded the Fabian Society, precursor of the Labour party, and still had time to write 60 novels, among them the most purely funny pages in the language.
+ Oh, and one more food thing: the egg-free (and almost cooking free) ice cream (commonly called Philadelphia Style) is seeing a new surge of interest.  Check out its history (and some yummy recipes) here.  (NY Times)

No comments:

Post a Comment