August 13, 2010

Bonus Food Post: Corn and Garlic Pasta


Yesterday morning I had the hardest time getting up.  It was so dark.  Usually I am out of the house by seven--but here my clock said it was 7:15 and it was as dark as if it were 5 a.m.  Then, flash of light-CRACK-BOOM, and I knew why it was so dark: there was magnificent thunderstorm directly above us.  And it all let loose.  When the storm was over and people started recouping, I realized it would take me 2 hours to get into the office.  I might as well work from home.  So I did.

The best part about working from home--besides not having to wear shoes--is that when you take a quick break and look at something fun on the internet, and come across an awesome recipe for Grilled Corn and Roasted Garlic Pasta,  you don't have to wait to make it.  You can make it right away.

So, though it was only 10 AM, when I came across Mark Bittman's recent recipe, I immediately went into the kitchen, put a pot on the stove, and got out the corn salad I had made the night before, and started making myself breakfast...or lunch...or whatever.

I used the Bittman recipe more as an inspiration than anything.  I didn't have roasted garlic on hand (though, goodness, that would make it so much better!), nor do I have a grill.  So here is a super quick, but really quite delicious variation:

kernels from 4 ears of corn that have been boiled (could use frozen corn)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb of shell shaped pasta
a handful of basil, chopped finely
1/4 cup almonds or pistachios, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, Romano, or (this is what I used) ricotta salata
olive oil
salt and pepper

Boil water for pasta.  Put pasta an a pinch of salt in the water and boil as directed.

While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 tbl olive oil in a skillet over medium.  Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, till soft.  Add the corn and raise the heat to medium.  Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, till nicely browned.  (This mimics the roasting of a grill, which I do not have, alas.) Add the grated cheese and the finely chopped basil, and toss till combined.  Pour it into your serving bowl.  The sauce ought to take about as long as the pasta.

Drain the pasta (but not bone dry!), and then toss with the corn mixture in the bowl.  If it seems a touch dry, you can add a bit more high quality olive oil (I like a brightly flavored one, like the California Olive Oil from TJs), or some reserved pasta water.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I like it with a lot of pepper, personally, to balance the sweetness of the corn.

This should take about 10 minutes is the corn is already prepared.  It will take 30 if you still need to boil the corn.  It would be so good with grilled fish, or with a couple poached eggs and a light salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment