July 20, 2010

Peach Ice Cream Recipe Bonanza

Darlings.  I bought a lot of peaches last week.  And then I took a week off from blogging.  And I made a lot of stuff with peaches.  I had to.  Forty pounds is a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot of peaches. So much so that I'd rather throw caution and grammar to the wind and just say ALOT ALOT ALOT ALOT ALOT ALOT, and collapse in a heap of exhaustion.  I am never buying 40 pounds of anything ever again.

But I've got to tell you...the peaches were good.  And the jams I made (more on them later this week)...they were REALLY good.  But I got pretty tired of slaving over a hot stove (even though I had lots of help from Miss McG during an epic thunderstorm, and Miss A and Miss P), so I finally finished off the peaches with a couple no-cook ice-cream recipes.  The first I posted in my Washington Examiner's Local Opinion Zone column on Friday--a crème fraiche no-cook ice cream.  This same recipe can be adapted with either more heavy cream, or with Greek yogurt replacing the crème fraiche.  You can also add some spices--cinnamon or nutmeg I think--to give it a little depth.  It would also be good with small chunks of white chocolate.  I made this for a dinner party on Friday, and it was gone in a jiff.

The second was a peach sorbet.  Now, before I get into it, I've got to tell you: I was lazy and didn't peel the peaches.  But white peaches, when purèed take on this mottled non-descript peachy hue that...well, I don't know how to put it delicately, but it just looks gross.  So, peel the damn peaches.  Its easy.  (The video is funny, too.  He is so earnest.)  

Plus, if you don't peel the peaches then this recipe has no steps and therefore does not count as a recipe and therefore I can claim no credit for having invented it.
 
no cook peach and white wine sorbet with tarragon

(No Cook) Peach and Tarragon Sorbet with White Wine

3 cups of very ripe peaches, peeled and chopped roughly
1/2 cup of sugar
1 cup white wine (stay on the dry side)
a squirt of lemon juice
12 tarragon leaves*

Take your peeled peaches and mix with the sugar, white wine, lemon juice, and tarragon.  Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes and then chill thoroughly (4 hours or over night).

Puree the peach mixture. Taste and if necessary add a few more leaves of herbs.  Pour into the bowl of your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturers directions.  Serve right away, or chill in freezer to harden.

* My tarragon was so incredibly fragrant that I had to use only a very little bit so it wouldn't end up tasting like licorice.  You might want to use more.  This would also be excellent with sage or basil or cilantro or mint or thyme or rosemary.  But you'll have to experiment with the amounts.  It would also be good with ground pink peppercorns.

3 comments:

  1. I have a ton of basil and have been looking for interesting recipes that include it. I'll experiment with a basil variation and get back to you. My basil also has a strong Anise flavor so I'll make sure I heed your warning about the licorice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yay! do tell me how it turns out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny! I wanted to make a dessert for tonight, and I thought, I have peaches... Peach sorbet... With what? Oh, tarragon would complement it well. And white wine. Bingo. Here's a recipe all spelled out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete