July 30, 2010

Do I Dare to Eat a Peach? (Again?!)

From Food52
I thought I would be tired of peaches after all my peach jam adventuring.  But I think I am only tired of slaving over pots of boiling peaches, because I keep bookmarking these amazing peach dishes.  I can't help it! 

High on my list of ones I want to try (it strikes me as the most supremely elegant dessert possible) is this Spiced Rose Gelatin with Peaches from the New York Times.  (Be sure to read the charming accompanying article about gelatin.)  I'm also dying to try the Peaches Poached with Basil from Food52.  Also, very elegant.

I think I want to try these because they take much more prep (though they are by no means complex) than my typical meals.  They are elegant and refined (though, really, still simple) as opposed to rustic and unadorned.  I typically go the rustic route because of time constraints, but also because the fruit is just so good when fresh that it hardly needs any cooking.  But cooking isn't just about what is immediately good (in fact, it is rarely about that), and these recipes strike me as a welcome feast.

A bit more rustic, but looking equally divine is this roasted beet and peach salad from my favorite foodie frugalista blog, Not Eating out in New York.  And for my Saturday adventures in the City with Spoon, I would like very much to make these peach hand pies from Smitten Kitchen (below).

From Smitten Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment