July 23, 2010

Clippings: July 17 to 23


I've been busy reading a Lord Peter Wimsey mystery, so I have not been reading my newspaper.  They are piled high by the door, still in their plastic sleeves.  Meanwhile the count of unread articles in my "Arts & Letters" tab in my Google Reader is crossing 400.  So I have a lot to catch up on.  And this clippings section will be necessarily short. 

+ Above: Can you wear only 6 pieces of clothing for one whole month?  Would anyone notice?  (NYTimes)

+ My friend Kristin Deasy has a fascinating article about the expansion of Facebook in Arab speaking countries. (RFE/RL)
+ That's what I call upcycling: 18th-Century Ship Found at Trade Center Site.  (The photos are awesome!) (NYTimes)

+ This week I spent my dinners eating in the dark.  Why?  Someone had turned off the over-head light fixture without the light switch, and I couldn't be bothered to change the bulbs.  Not my shining moment. Have you ever thought about how artificial light has changed our lives? (Washington Post

+ You all know how much I love farmer's markets--not only is the produce DELICIOUS, but you also know that your money is going directly to the producers, and I love talking with the farmers.  But, goodness gracious, what's the point if it is just a urbanite hipster movement?  (Washington Post)

+ Spoon and I are going to the Nazi Propoganda exhibit in a couple weeks at the Holocaust Museum.  Here's some US propoganda, from the Library of Congress.  (Also, below.)


No comments:

Post a Comment