June 21, 2010

Midsummer

My favorite quotes from a favorite play, for this, my favorite day of the summer:

Nay, faith, let me not play a woman; I have a beard coming.
--Flute/Thisby

Ill met by moonlight, proud Titania.
--Oberon to is queen

A lion among ladies is a most dreadful thing.
--Bottom

The lunatic, the lover, and the poet

Are of imagination all compact.
One sees more devils than vast hell can hold,
That is, the madman: the lover, all as frantic,
Sees Helen's beauty in a brow of Egypt:
The poet's eye, in a fine frenzy rolling,
Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen
Turns them to shapes, and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name.
Such tricks hath strong imagination,
That if it would but apprehend some joy,
It comprehends some bringer of that joy;
Or in the night, imagining some fear,
How easy is a bush supposed a bear!
--Theseus

The best in this kind are but shadows, and the

worst are no worse, if imagination amend them.
--Theseus

(Side note: Theseus is a greatly underrated character in this play.  I think he might be my favorite.  And he certainly was my favorite part of the just ok film (1999), as played by David Strathairn.)

1 comment:

  1. That’s a wonderful post you posted I really like it. Thanks for sharing us and hopefully you will continuously sharing now and coming days.

    ReplyDelete