June 04, 2010

Akira Kurosawa's RAN in Washington


 
You've heard me speak before about Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece Ran--a retelling of King Lear set in medival Japan.  It is one of my very favorite films--not to mention my favorite adaptation of a Shakespeare play without the actual Shakspearean text. 

Well Washington's Landmark E Street Cinema is showing for one week only a newly restored 35mm print--starting tonight. (I'll be going when I get back from California!)  For showtimes and tickets click here.

When it was originally produced it was the most expensive film ever to be made in Japan.  Kurosawa masterfully presents Mediaval Japan, the fueling of honored sons, and the utter despair of a pagan Lear.  Watching this film made me first come to some understanding of the original Lear as actually hopeful and redemptive. I wouldn't miss seeing it on the big screen for the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment