May 17, 2010

Farmer's Market + Menu (1)

 
Now that the farmer's market is in full swing, I'll be sharing with you every Monday morning the bounty of my weekly trip to the market, as well as a few recipes I hope to make with said bounty.  I'm going to be experimenting a bit, but I hope that by the end of the summer I will be eating primarily from the farmer's market (and that includes meats, cheeses, dairy and eggs), rather than the grocery store.  But we'll see...best laid plans and all that.

Anyway, above you'll see my marvelous bounty.  Doesn't it look grand.  Clockwise from the bread: Jewish Onion Rye and Roasted Garlic Sourdough from Quail Creek Farm; pencil thin asparagus so fresh I ate a whole stem raw (that how you can tell its really good); Feta and eggs from a Virginia farm; fresh, spicy arugula; young garlic heads (I kicked myself because after I saw these, I found garlic scapes--I hope they are there next week!) radishes, and the seasons first strawberries (all from Maryland).

The asparagus I am going to cook right away for lunch.  I think I'll parboil them quickly, and serve with a fried egg and some toast.  The radishes, garlic, arugula and a fennel bulb I have in the fridge from last week will form a lovely salad for lunches during the week (a recipe adapted from Chez Panisse Vegetables--thanks DN!).  I'll also be making open faced sandwiches with a Parisian egg salad (bound with olive oil, not mayo, and mixed with cornichons) and the crispy radishes on top.  That will be a lovely lunch!  I'll also use the arugula and garlic to make a pesto for buckwheat pasta.  Feta will go on top. 

Though it seems to me that to cook those beautiful strawberries is to spoil them, I think I am going to make a quick strawberry jam as a birthday present for a friend.  And eat a few while I'm cooking...

And of course, I am liable to change my mind a million times before the week is through.  And if I need reinforcements, then there's always the mid-week market.

No comments:

Post a Comment