March 17, 2010

Across the Pond

 
This post will be about a slew of items of interest from England.  Most are dealing with the Church.  Funny, I suppose, that I should be posting this on St. Patrick's Day.  But, I like to think that St. Patrick is one of England's great Advocates.  After all, the rivalries between nations and peoples are a tragic outcome of the Fall. While the Greek gods fought in Homer with each other for their own beloved nations, it seems fitting that Christian saints should advocate both for their beloved nations, and for a resolution of the old rivalries between brother nations.

Is that nonsense?  Oh well, it's what I think.  And speaking of "resolution of old rivalries"--did you see this stunning article by Peter Hitchens, the brother of Christopher Hitchens:
I set fire to my Bible on the playing fields of my Cambridge boarding school one bright, windy spring afternoon in 1967. I was 15 years old. The book did not, as I had hoped, blaze fiercely and swiftly.

Only after much blowing and encouragement did I manage to get it to ignite at all, and I was left with a disagreeable, half-charred mess.

Most of my small invited audience drifted away long before I had finished, disappointed by the anticlimax and the pettiness of the thing. Thunder did not mutter.

It would be many years before I would feel a slight shiver of unease about my act of desecration. Did I then have any idea of the forces I was trifling with?
Read the whole article here.  Please read it.  It is remarkable!  (HT: Fr. Dwight Logenecker)

In other Church in England news: The Vatican has confirmed that Pope Benedict XVI will be making an official visit (first ever!) to England, to (among other things) beatify John Henry Cardinal Newman (photo, above):
The Fathers and many friends of the English Oratories are delighted by the official announcement that our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI will beatify our founder, the Venerable John Henry Newman, in the Archdiocese of Birmingham during his visit to Britain in September. Newman made his home in the Archdiocese for all his adult life, first in Oxford, where he lived as an Anglican and was received into the Catholic Church, and later in Birmingham itself where he founded and worked in the Birmingham Oratory for over forty years.


The Holy Father’s life-long devotion to Newman has made a profound contribution to understanding the depth and significance of our founder’s legacy. His decision to beatify Newman in person confers a unique blessing upon the English Oratories and all who have drawn inspiration from Newman’s life and work.
Also, Damian Thompson is doing some great work regarding the UK Times' slanderous articles about Pope Benedict.  (I don't recommend reading those articles, unless of course you'd like to buy a new monitor after you've punched your current one.)

And you really must read this article about latin in schools.  It has garnered (at time of posting) 297 comments.  It is angry and rich and just so right.
Finally: Doc Martins celebrates 50 years.

1 comment:

  1. Great article on the Hitchens' brothers!

    ReplyDelete