February 06, 2010

A perfect thought for this snowy day:

"From morning till night, sounds drift from the kitchen, most of them familiar and comforting...On days when warmth is the most important need of the human heart, the kitchen is the place you can find it; it dries the wet sock, it cools the hot little brain.” - E.B.White


You may have heard, its snowing...alot...in Washington. In honor of that we invited all our neighbors to a snow party. (We're lucky: there are 6 apartments near us filled with friends!) Usually we clean up right afterwards, but last night we were lazy--a decision I am regretting now.

However, the fun isn't over. We'll be snowbound again today. And likely baking and cooking all over again.

Yesterday's menu included Nigella Lawson's Coq au Vin (Austrian style), over buttered noodles, yummy glistening melt-in-your-mouth meringues, and homemade coffee ice cream...that didn't harden so it was more like coffee soup ice cream.

Today I am making beer ice cream (with chocolate stout!) and earl grey ice cream and soy glazed tuna with rice, and perhaps a pear tart. And, then I am going to catch up on my movie watching with The Trouble with Harry, Amazing Grace, and last week's episodes of 30 Rock and House. Meanwhile, I shall continue reading Cranford and The No. One Ladies Detective Agency, and writing letters (I am two weeks behind on my writing one letter a week new years resolution).

It's going to be a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Maggie dear, you love 30 Rock and House too? I knew you were a woman after my own heart. :)

    -Adrienne

    ReplyDelete